Capcom , a powerhouse in the multi-billion dollar video game industry, today announced Okami, a new innovative adventure game for the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system. In a bleak and desolate world comes an unlikely great white wolf empowered to bring forth light into the looming darkness. Mixing Japanese folklore and a stunning traditional Japanese art style, Okami tells the story of a mythical sun god who sets out to restore a world to its former beauty and glory. Okami is the brainchild of Capcom's Clover Studio which is renowned for such innovative and critically acclaimed titles such as Steel Battalion and Viewtiful Joe series. An epic experience will descend upon humanity when the game is released throughout PAL territories in 2006.
In Okami, the legendary monster Orochi has come back to life and turned the world into a veritable wasteland. Players must assume the role of a wolf, an embodiment of the sun god Amaterasu, capable of wielding unimaginable power. The state of the world lies in gamer's hands as they must fight ominous beings and reclaim the earth from a curse that plagues it. It is crucial to help Amaterasu make the world a place where all living creatures can dwell once again.
Traditional Japanese art comes alive through beautiful scenic 3D levels that have the appearance and texture of paper scrolls brushed with watercolour-like calligraphy art. As a god in the form of a wolf, Amaterasu must reclaim its powers that are scattered throughout the earth, in order to help restore the land to its former beauty. As players progress through the game, they will travel to different regions in search of the other godly embodiments that are hidden, and regain Amaterasu's powers. Rooted in the third person perspective, gamers will need to interact with the people they encounter, building their faith by clandestinely answering their prayers and wishes. As gamers lead Amaterasu through diverse environments, they will come across extraordinary monsters that originated from Japanese folklore.
Defeating the creatures that Amaterasu encounters will not be a small feat. The real-time fighting system not only involves biting and ramming strikes, but also allows for various attacks using the bronze mirror of Yata on its back as well as a host of other unique abilities. This system allows the use of a myriad of specials attacks typically not associated with the physical prowess of a normal wolf. As the wolf becomes more powerful, more attacks become available. This blend of stylized graphics and unique gameplay will result in a rich and dynamic experience never seen before.
Okami includes the following features:
- Intriguing and alluring main character - Assume the role of the sun god, Amaterasu, who descends upon the earth in the form of a wolf. The Japanese translation of the word wolf is "Okami".
- Original visuals and revolutionary design - Rich stylized 3D graphics reminiscent of traditional Japanese art created on paper scrolls produce a large variety of stages with a watercolor-esque appearance.
- Epic tale that combines folklore and mysticism - Okami uses folklore to bring forth an immersive experience.
- Eclectic and diverse enemies - Diverse lineup of enemies based on Japanese folklore and myths.
- Diversified gameplay - Defeating monsters requires the usage of not only physical attacks, but Amaterasu's own unique abilities