Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) continues their highly successful and critically acclaimed series of racing simulation video games with today's North American release of Gran Turismo 5, available exclusively for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) and for the first-time ever in stereoscopic 3-D. Developed by Polyphony Digital Inc., Gran Turismo 5 brings the world's most realistic and comprehensive driving experiences to fans in one of the most highly anticipated games of all time. For the first time in the franchise, players can look forward to real-time car damage, dynamic weather effects, kart racing, access to select NASCAR cars, a Course Maker and robust online community features. The game will also feature an impressive line-up of more than 1,000 licensed cars from the world's top manufacturers and more than 20 tracks with over 70 variations, including famous world circuits, city courses, snow and dirt, and original environments popular among fans.
"Over the past five years, the team of designers and engineers at Polyphony Digital have worked to set new standards in graphics, presentation, and gameplay within the Gran Turismo franchise," said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of Product Marketing, SCEA. "With Gran Turismo 5, the development team has set a new bar in the racing genre with more than 1,000 vehicles, new racing modes and features, and a robust online community. We are excited to offer loyal fans a racing experience that remains unmatched."
With exciting new features to suit newcomers, automotive enthusiasts and seasoned fans, Gran Turismo 5 raises the bar on the franchise's quality of design, physics and technology, while delivering an ultra-realistic driving experience with unparalleled visuals and lifelike graphics that are difficult to distinguish from a live race. The game will feature a completely new physics engine for an improved and more realistic, and responsive, driving feel across the board, as well as real-time vehicle damage and wear, with adaptive and accurate car deformation based on point of impact and velocity. Additionally, players will have the chance to utilize face tracking capabilities using the PlayStation Eye camera, allowing players to look around the interior of vehicles while in the interior dash view.
For the first time, players will also be able to create their own Gran Turismo race track with the in-game Course Maker, as well as take part in kart racing, and race select NASCAR cars on select NASCAR-sanctioned and other tracks. Additionally, Gran Turismo 5 will feature an extremely deep online and community feature set where players can race online with up to 16 players through PlayStation Network via the all-new custom race lounge and exciting new social gaming features that expand the Gran Turismo universe online. Players can also transfer vehicles unlocked in Gran Turismo for PSP (PlayStation Portable) into their garage in Gran Turismo 5.
Additional Features Include (but not limited to):
- Arcade Mode lets players experience the stunning tracks and environments of Gran Turismo 5, including custom tracks created with Course Maker, alone or with a friend in split-screen two-player mode
- Career mode, which includes a vast and varied lineup of special race events, including appearances by world-famous professional race car drivers, new and used car dealerships, tuning and body shops to upgrade the performance of players' favorite cars, and more
- Newly expanded B-Spec race team management mode puts players in the role of a race team director, where they can manage and coach a stable of AI (artificial intelligence) race car drivers through career events
- Point-based Championship Race series and License Tests
- Stunning new visual effects include: rain, snow and other weather effects; time transitions where day turns to night; particle effects like tire smoke, dust clouds, and water spray; and new lighting effects including working high beams and flashers, working windshield wipers, and brake lights that light up dust clouds
- Gran Turismo TV Video provides access to a library of great motorsport video programming (both HD and SD – all broadcast quality) through PlayStation Network
- Photo Mode and Photo Travel allows players to capture great GT moments from race replays and exotic locales, and to share with friends online, including stereoscopic 3-D support for taking stunning 3D screenshots (stereoscopic 3-D TV required)
- Automobile and collectible "trading cards" are also available, which are unlocked every time players log into Gran Turismo 5 online, adding new content to the informative and educational Museum feature.
- Cards are awarded randomly and can be traded with friends to build their collections
- Players can create custom soundtracks from music stored on their XMB to play in-game
- PlayStation Network Trophy support
Additionally, SCEA and Polyphony Digital Inc. – in partnership with Nissan North America – will also be making dreams of becoming a real-life race car driver with a professional team a reality beginning this December with the U.S. debut of GT Academy. Here, players will compete in a series of online time trials in pre-selected Nissan vehicles in Gran Turismo 5. The winner will have a chance to train with elite race car drivers at international tracks and race as a part of a professional team. Fans who think they have what it takes can register at http://us.gran-turismo.com/ beginning December 6.
Gran Turismo Franchise
With more than 60 million units shipped worldwide, the award-winning Gran Turismo franchise for the PlayStation, PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, PlayStation 3 and PSP (PlayStation Portable) handheld entertainment system is regarded as the best and most authentic driving simulator ever created due to its true-to-life graphics, authentic physics technology and design. Since the inception of the Gran Turismo franchise, famed creator Kazunori Yamauchi and Polyphony Digital Inc. in Japan have revolutionized the racing category as we know it today. His offerings provide the most realistic driving simulation in the industry and a unique medium for automotive manufacturers to showcase their products.
The independent Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) has rated all Gran Turismo properties "E" for Everyone. For more information about the ESRB, please visit http://www.esrb.org.
Polyphony Digital Inc.
Polyphony Digital, Inc. is an internal video game developing company of Sony Computer Entertainment and is part of SCE Worldwide Studios. The studio was originally known as Poly's Entertainment, however after the success of Gran Turismo they were granted greater autonomy and their name changed to Polyphony Digital.