In 2006, MLB 06 The Show led the MLB-licensed category on PlayStation platforms with over 66% market share. Moreover, despite publishing exclusively for PlayStation platforms, sales for the franchise managed to lead the category for all baseball games across all gaming platforms. This year, MLB 07 The Show looks to make the transition to next-gen and establish its position most valuable player in the category with an outstanding set of features innovative gameplay functionality.
Already widely considered the most authentic baseball simulation available, the franchise now introduces the all-new Road to The Show mode, enabling gamers to play both offense and defense from the created player’s perspective. Providing an even more realistic experience from the mound, the all-new New Pitch Command System (PCS) delivers unsurpassed strategy to pitch selection, as a pitcher’s “pitch comfort” will be predetermined based on a best to worst pitch scenario. It is up the gamer to decide if he/she should try to “work on a pitch” or just go with what is working. Additionally, with the Adaptive Pitching Intelligence (API) feature, catchers will call the game based on the individual strengths and weaknesses of each pitcher as well as analyze tendencies of batters. Gamers will now have the ability to either trust the pitches called by the catcher or shake them off.
As more and more gamers are seeking quality online competition and content, MLB 07 The Show adds to its already robust online feature set and delivers Online League Play, which offers the ability to set up customizable leagues with up to 30 teams, complete with full stat tracking, point benefits and rewards. Additionally, the My Sliders feature allows users to create their perfect game settings and upload them to the MLB 07 The Show server for others to try out.
Due to hit stores this spring as the only officially licensed first party videogame exclusively for the PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) computer entertainment system, PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system and the PSP (PlayStation Portable) system, MLB 07 The Show is set to deliver an unrivaled experience for baseball fans.
- Road to The Show – Along with Classic Career Mode, MLB 07 The Show introduces an innovative new option. Road to The Show enables gamers to play offense and defense from the created player’s perspective for they plays in which they are involved. The game will automatically fast forward to the next user-integrated sequence with some events occasionally triggering situational goals form coaches or managers.
- Always Online – With the PS3, players will have the option to be “Always Online” allowing elements such as MLB Score Ticker, Instant Messaging, Buddy Invites and more to occur at any point. Gamers could be playing an exhibition game and receive an message from a buddy to get into a different game room and go head-to-head. No scoring update in the MLB will be missed, as the MLB.com powered ticker can be seen during any off or online game.
- Online League Play – MLB 07 The Show provides today’s sports fanatics with the ability to set up leagues with anywhere from 6-30 teams with full stat tracking, point benefits and rewards. Gamers can customize the league including choosing players, teams, length of schedule and much more. (Note: There are no cross platform leagues available.)
- Online News Service / MLB.com Headline News – Sports fanatics can receive all the current happenings in sports today. Information will be updated a few times each hour with news, trades and events from 31 different feeds, each containing 25 unique items. Users can select general MLB headlines or updates from all 30 teams instantly. New for 07, MLB 07 The Show offers an enhanced Live MLB Ticker, which shows live status of all MLB games going on around the league – with updates several times a minute. This new view will be complete with who is on base, pitching, batting, on-deck and full inning-by-inning box scores.
- Rivalry Mode – For those with a competitive nature, Rivalry Mode allows baseball fans to set up and maintain multi-game rivalries between multiple gamers or versus the Artificial Intelligence (AI), and keeps track of the stats throughout the rivalry.
- Franchise Mode – Extending the experience of running a team, performance and player morale are tracked on virtually every level – salary, playing time, batting slot, team performance, and much more.
- Career Mode – The Career Spotlight underscores all of the accomplishments and failures during a career and showcases them in the limelight. Gamers still need to call the shots, but now the ramifications of actions are documented.
- Season Mode – Grind out the162 game season and deal with day-to-day match-ups, refining the lineup and play for the championship just like the pros.
- All-Star Game – Lets gamers take the virtual road trip to San Francisco early to see who prevails for home field advantage in the 2007 Fall Classic.
- Adaptive Pitching Intelligence (API) – Catchers will call the game based on individual strengths and weaknesses of each pitcher and analyze tendencies of batters. Gamers will have the ability to trust the pitches called by the catcher or shake them off. (The catcher’s recommendations are based off of thousands of actual MLB stats.)
- Pitch Command System (PCS) – Delivering unsurpassed authenticity and strategy to pitch selection, a pitcher’s “pitch comfort” will be predetermined based on a best to worst pitch scenario. It’s up the gamer to decide if they should try to “work on a pitch” or just go with what’s working. The more a player works on a pitch, the better it becomes, and the more a gamer neglects a pitch, the harder it becomes to work the zone.
- PlayMaker Fielding – The fielding interface brings the player attributes together with the user’s skill level. With the Fielding Zone Marker, the fielder’s fielding attribute rating will determine the size of the zone that surrounds the ball and its eventual landing location. With highly ranked fielders, the ball marker will be displayed sooner and smaller, making it easier to judge fly balls.
- Multi-Branch Fielding – Branch Point Technology goes to a new level as gamers you can now take full control of fielders and break out of any animation in the process. Change a fielding decision and branch out of any animation after the first branch point. With Branch Point Technology, MLB 07 The Show provides unbelievably smooth, fluid transitions for seamless double plays and relays.
- Release Point Pitching – Taking video game pitching to a whole new level, gamers must utilize a timing mechanism to learn and realize each pitchers pace and release point, which varies from pitcher to pitcher.
- Pitching Confidence Meter – The ultimate pitcher/batter interface returns. Additionally, Pitcher Confidence plays a role in a gamer’s ability to hit release points in the all-new pitch meter, while frequency of mistakes will impact the confidence level of a gamer’s hurler, making it more difficult to paint the corners of the strike zone.
- Guess Pitch – Baseball fans can attempt to master the ability to knock one out or hit the grounder to advance the runner by checking the pitch history and correctly guessing which pitch and the location that the pitcher will throw next. If the correct pitch is selected, the power attribute is increased in attempts to leave the yard in a hurry.
- Pitch Grips – Gamers will be able to detail the different pitch grips and arm angles that a pitcher has when throwing each pitch. Showing these details in Replay Mode shows what to look for in release point and pitch arm angle from 15 different pitches.
- 40-Man Roster – Provides the ability to take full control of a team’s roster and manage all 40 players for each and every game.
- My Sliders (Up/Downloadable) – The My Sliders option gives users the ability to create their perfect game settings offline by adjusting game sliders. Gamers can then save these adjustments to memory and, when online, upload to them to the MLB 07 The Show server for other users to try and let the online community be the judge on finding the perfect game.
- MLB Player Motion Captures – MLB 07 The Show features dozens of professional athletes including David Wright, David Ortiz, Eric Chavez, Roger Clemens, Shawn Green, Tony Gwynn, Trevor Hoffman, Tim Hudson, Darryl Hamilton, Troy Percival, Brett Tomko, Mo Vaughn and more.
- Thousands of Personalized Animations – Authenticity: featuring personalized player animations for everything from walk-ups, rituals, stances and swings and even emotions.
- New Umpire Personalities – Providing even more realism to the diamond, MLB 07 The Show features umpires with unique tendencies and animations. Each umpire will have his own definition of the strike zone, and it’s up to the gamer to figure out if the umpire is calling the zone high, low, or giving the corners.
- Managers / Coaches – MLB managers and coaches will be on the field calling the shots.
MLB Authenticity, Subtleties & Nuances – MLB 07 The Show features drag bunts, wild pitches, broken bats, check swings, off-line throws and much more.
- Crowd Interaction – Gamers will see a vast array of new ambient elements including: fans coming, going and reaching for foul balls, vendors, 7th inning stretch, the wave, standing ovations and much, much more. These new subtleties make MLB 07 The Show truly feel like a day at the ballpark.
- Wind Effects – MLB 07 The Show features a wind display showing wind speed and direction. Depending upon the severity of the wind, the ball will drift according to the speed and direction. Wind effects will force the player to take the proper route to the ball and make adjustments on the fly.
- 3-Man Booth & Progressive Commentary – Rex Hudler, Matt Vasgersian and Dave Campbell provide the most comprehensive commentary heard in any baseball videogame. MLB 07 The Show sets the bar high with the Progressive Commentary that changes as the user progresses throughout the game by adapting to current actions and situations.